29 May 2012

Picky Eaters!

Picky eaters are going to be the death of me!
I am not sure how many know, but I am a live in aide for a family.  I do everything, basically I am Mom of three adults who are going to put me in an early grave, lol.
First there is Mo, she is 67 years old, diabetic, ornery, and spoiled rotten (and she admits it!)  Then there is her husband, Tree, (we won't say his full name, lets just say, he has one of the most unusual names I have ever heard) he is 65, and picky, picky PICKY!  Then there is Mo's brother, long story short, she and her brother last saw eachother in 1985 at their mothers funeral.  They vaguely kept in contact over the phone, but otherwise didn't have much contact.  Two years ago, Martin had a heart attack, and was found laying unconscious on his living room floor by a neighbor, they contacted Mo, as she was the next of kin.  Martin was living in Ohio, we were living in Mo at the time.  Martin moved into a nursing home, then we moved him into a nursing home in the town we were living in last year.  This past month, we moved to Indianapolis, bringing Martin with us.
Martin is 71, has lived alone the majority of his life, so he pretty much hides in his room.  He is a computer whiz, so he plays on the computer alot, and watches tv, but thats pretty much it for him.
Martin is my biggest worry actually.  He is an extremely picky eater.  These are the foods he WILL eat: Cauliflower, salad, hamburgers, hotdogs, baked or mashed potatoes (with or without gravy), grilled cheese, anything with hamburger (shepherds pie, spaghetti, hamburger helper, things like that), chicken salad, chicken and dumplings (or noodles), potato salad, pickles, and that my dears is about it.  I might be missing a couple of things, but can't remember, lol).
What makes it even more difficult, is that he is diabetic, so I want him to eat healthy, and variety of foods, but he doesn't like variety at all honestly.
Tree is just as bad, he will eat pasta (lasagna is his fave meal), anything with hamburger in it, hamburgers, hotdogs, spam, beef steaks, potato salad, very few veggies.  He won't eat pork except for sausage and bacon. Potatoes, and a few other things.
Basically, what Mo likes, Martin and Tree don't like, and what they like, its doubtful Mo likes it.  There are many times I have to cook two meals per meal.
For example, for Mo's breakfast, she will eat nearly anything, cold or hot cereal, waffles, pancakes, sausage (links not patties), sausage gravy, toast, biscuits, eggs, and nearly anything else you can think of that would be served at breakfast.
Martin will only eat cold cereal, scrambled eggs, waffles, and sausage gravy.
Tree is on his own (I typically only have to make supper for Tree, and he isn't in bad health like Mo and Martin are, and is capable of being a big boy!)
For lunch Mo will eat nearly any type of sandwich, spam, bacon, peanut butter, ham, turkey, etc etc.  Any type of salad (veggie, or fruit) and loves chicken noodle soup, and tomato soup, and bean soup.
For lunch Marvtn will eat grilled cheese, salad, a banana, a hamburger (If I am running errands and bring something home), or a can of bean soup.
So for supper, lets say I want to make baked chicken, buttered noodles and a veggie.  I have to make either a hamburger, or grilled cheese for Marvin, and either hamburger or beef steak for Oak.  As for veggies, lets say I make green beans, I have to make something else for Marvin and Oak, they will both eat peas, Marvin will eat cauliflower, or a salad.
The only true time I can get everyone to agree is if I make meatloaf, spaghetti, salsbury steak, hamburger helper (homemade of course), Salad, cauliflower, buttered noodles, baked potatoes, mashed potatoes, mac and cheese.
Martin doesnt like tacos, or anything Mexican, so if I make taco salad, he gets the salad only part of it, Tree doesn't like Chinese, so if I make Chinese (lets say beef and broccoli with fried rice) then I have to make something competely different for Tree.
None of them really see it as a problem, because they don't mind if foods are repeated daily, I think all of them would be perfectly happy eating hamburgers, french fries, and potato salad daily.  But that gets boring, and not that healthy!!
I get tired of making the same things all the time.
I nearly look forward to the holidays, just so I can cook something different!
I am on the hunt for recipes, and ideas, because my brain is overloaded.  Not sure what I am going to do, but I will figure it out.

No comments: