11 July 2012

LIfe is Yummy

Sitting here watching the Waltons (which we do every evening). And its one of my favorite episodes, where Olivia, Jim Bob, and Elizabeth are in a car accident, and get lost in the woods.  Even tho they are scared, and worried, they still enjoy their time together.  Jim Bob and Elizabeth catch fish for supper, and Olivia just simply enjoys watching her children..

A number of years ago I was married (yes, my crabby self!) And I remember laying on my bed a few weeks afterwards, reading a book, and I was content. I looked around at the room, looked over at my husband playing on the computer, and I simply smiled.  The simple things in life are what make us happy, we honestly do not have to go searching for them, they are within our heart.
I don't have to go find a husband, or boyfriend, I don't need to be sitting here crying because I never had (birth) children.  I can be happy with the simple things, accept what wasn't gifted to me, and appreciate what was.

Tonight for supper was very much a blessing, diabetic, low sodium, and YUMMY all in one.

Cubed steak with some cream of mushroom I had made homemade a few weeks ago, then froze.  Just put the cream of mushroom in the pan with the cubed steak, with some water, then popped in the oven til it got yummy.  After I took it out of the oven, I took the meat out, added a wee bit of flour to the liquid, thickened it up, and had a bit of gravy over the meat.

Tree had a baked potato with it (he doesnt like veggies at all, lol)

I made THIS Rice with Roasted Cauliflower, and changed the recipe a little bit, didnt put anysalt,  curry powder or red pepper flakes in it, and used regular onion instead of the green onions, and sprinkled a bit of of Braggs Liquid Aminos in it, since that is a very VERY low sodium soy sauce.  But otherwise I followed the recipe, lol.

And then for a veggie I made Chayote Squash Side Dish recipe, but I found another similiar recipe and combined them.

1 tbs oil
1 garlic clove
1/2 onion chopped
2 squash, peeled and cut into strips
1 tbs vinegar
1/2 tsp sugar
oregano
Heat oil, saute onion and garlic, then add the squash, and the seasonings (except vinegar) cook til tender, add vinegar.

This was really good, but I apparently didnt cook the squash long enough, next time I will roast it in the oven til its tender, then add it to the garlic and onion.  I had cooked it in the microwave for about 3 minutes, but like I said, either next time will do more micro time, or in the oven.

No comments: