04 February 2014

A New Year, A New Me

I know, I know, I don't up with this blog, or any of the others, but that is changing.  Yeah, sure, you have said that before.  Yes, I can hear you say that...:P.  But this time, I really am.
Last month I started going back to school, and I have decided, a good way for me to keep track of assignments and other things, is to record it here.  Since I waited a whole month, I wont make you suffer through the first month, I will just start with this week.
I am going to Harrison College in Indianapolis.  I am going for Medical Assistant.  The reason I have chosen this one, is because I have been a CNA since 1997.  I love being a CNA and working with patients/residents.  I have not been working for the past three years, for different reasons, but I truly want to get back to it.
At the moment, I am taking medical terminology, computers and office automation, and strategies for success.  I love the medical terminology class, I would have to say its my favorite class.  I guess strategies for success after that, because I honestly just hate the computer class.
I have been working on how to organize all of my classes and assignments over the past month, so that I have time do do more than just study.  I have finally figured out, if I read over the books during the weekend, the weekend prior to that week.  Then I can devote time during the week to writing up papers, doing any research, and whatever else needs to be done.  I am about three days ahead of schedule now, and it feels good.  I am doing the classes online, so I don't get to meet up with any of the students, nor any of my teachers, so sometimes that part is a bit frustrating, but I am enjoying it all so far.
Today for my med class I did a research paper on the strangest phobia I had ever heard of.  That was turophobia, the fear of cheese.  Yes, there is such a thing, and I actually know someone who absolutely loathes cheese, and it is so bad, will not eat anything if she thinks its in it.

Then I had to do a second paper for my med class on the HIPAA laws, and a scenario that could possibly happen.
For my strategies for success class, I had to do a paper on test anxiety, and how, if any, a test effects me.  I am one of those types of people that I am horrible when its time to take a test.  I will study til I'm dead on my feet the night before, and then before the test I am nearly freaking out to the point of an anxiety attack, and then when I sit down to do it, I start doing breathing techniques and I am calming down, but I try to rush through it, because I just want to get it over and done with. 
For the computer class, I had to do a paper on counterfeiting and how it effects not just the people who do it, but us too.  The ones who steal our identities, the ones who do fake licenses, social security cards, and other documents.  All of it adds up, and effects us in one way or another.  Then another part for the computer class, we have a program that walks us through how to use Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.  So I had to do one of the walkthroughs today.  It was for Excel, I HATE EXCEL!  Have I mentioned I hate Excel?  For me, I don't need it.  I don't keep track of anything that needs to be kept track of number wise.  I am a CNA (soon to be Med Assistant) and a genealogist.  Excel means nothing to me...its like algebra, it needs to go take care of its own personal problems....I dont know where its ex is, and I don't care!

1 comment:

Dino Sarma said...

Lots of work on your plate, Shey. I didn't much care for Excel when I started college, until I realised that I could use it like a glorified calculator. It made it much easier to type a number, hit enter, type the next number, hit enter, and so on, and then have Excel add the whole entire column together. Doing it on a calculator makes me want to pull my hair out.